Friday, November 5, 2010

Ottawa Fashion Week Review

Unfortunately my pictures from the first half of Ottawa Fashion Week are non-existent. For some reason I decided to NOT bring my Rebel, and opted for the good ol' point and shoot... yes, not a good idea. Motion pictures turn out blurry... and models are moving, duh. But I thought I would share with you my favorites anyways; a special thanks to Pop Champagne for allowing me to share the beauty with you.

Andrew Majtenyi
was elegant and subdued. His silhouettes were incredibly feminine yet delicate, and his color palette was fairly neutral with subtle pops of brightness in floral patterns. Every piece was wearable and effortlessly chic, and the designer's ensemble was equally fabulous - a royal purple shirt and black and white oxfords.




Rachel Sin was incredible. Her dresses were to die for. My favorites were by far the fitted pieces which were unbelievably sexy, but not over the top. A black sheath with a contrasting zipper and geometrical cut outs on the back was the piece I coveted the most; incredibly wearable for any occasion. Coincidentally, the designer herself showed up in that piece the following night.



On Day 3 the standouts were Stacey Bafi-Yeboa, designer of Kania Couture, who blew me away completely with her bold colour choices. Her pieces are completely eco-conscious, made from bamboo jersey, and look SO comfortable, even the dresses you could see yourself dancing into the wee hours of the morning in. Her overall look was super-easy rocker chic, and her styling was impeccable. And who could resist her charms when she danced down the runway at the end of her show? Amazing.



Adrian Wu... a talent beyond his mere 20 years. The complex drapes, gathers, and avant garde styling and silhouettes makes you believe that he's been in the business for years. It reminded me of a couture show one would see in Paris or Milan, without a doubt. While the color palette was fairly basic in blacks, whites and greys, you could still notice the impeccable craftsmanship and hours of work it must have taken to achieve such looks. He is definitely one Canadian talent to watch in the years to come.



And finally, Jessica Biffi, Project Runway Canada Season 2 runner-up, closed the weekend with what I'd like to dub her nautical-rocker motif. The mix of stripes and colors was amazing, and pleating details and shiny hardware had me literally foaming at the mouth. Everything was so incredibly well constructed, you could see why she made it so far on Project Runway, and why her popularity exceeds that of the two winners of the series.




A shout out goes to my lovely fellow Ottawa Bloggers - Marilou, you are incredibly amazing, and a million thank yous for allowing me to join you in the front row, I felt like a socialite :) & Julie, you are incredibly cute in person! Thanks so much for the photo op! I hope it doesn't take another runway show before I get to see you wonderful ladies again :)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time! I love the last dress...and the back details on the chain draped one is amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! This is so exciting. I've never been to a fashion week. Sigh...one day! My favorites are Rachel Sin and Adrian Wu. Canada really does have a lot of talent and I think it's essential that we recognize and promote it. Great reviews! Happy Friday love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Mel!

    Thank you so much for your sweet and kind words for me! I have to be honest to say I've been searching through the crowds for your pretty face and I am so pleased we've met! Your outfit that night is so lovely and watch out for my upcoming post, I am featuring our photos together!

    And yes, I agree, let's not wait for the next OFW to meet up again! I may do some photoshoot soon, you wanna come?

    besos,

    MARILOU

    Win a Yola Couture Designer Dress at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great coverage of the OWF! It was such a great event. My biggest regret is not bringing my camera out of my purse. Could I link your blog on mine so some of my friends can see your coverage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrian Wu and Jessica Biffi are totally my style! I hope we get some of their stuff in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, there's some really amazing talent here in Canada, isn't there?? This looks like the best time ever, such variety and creativity! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mel! Soo nice to meet you! Lets do coffee sometimes the following week? Let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Your last post had me thinking babe!

    http://twentyyork.blogspot.com/2010/11/black-is-new-black.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been a bad blogger.
    I am sooo trying to catch up !
    I have to say that I have been CLOSE to a runway show BUT never seated ....
    it must be so very exciting !!!!
    There was a lot of talented designers on that runway !!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel free to leave comments in English, Spanish, French or Italian :)