1. How do you promote your blog?
Hmmmm, good question. I do a few things, but judging by the responses of others I should be doing more...
What I currently do:
- I like to think I leave nice, thoughtful comments and questions on the blogs of others.
- I take part in weekly posts supported by other bloggers such a Friend Friday and Weekly Money Check-Up.
- I have a link on my facebook page for anyone who actually knows me that might be interested.
- Post outfits I'm particularly proud of to weardrobe (even though I've criticized it before, I still find many new blogs this way, so I still do the occasional post. But no more free ads! Notice my lack of banner...)
- Network! Tell anyone who cares to listen.
- Be more active on IFB
- Broaden my post spectrum... Ottawa is an amazing City, I should showcase it more.
2. In your experience what has been the most effective form of self promotion?
I would say just being friendly and taking an interest in the blogs of others. Most of my followers are people I regularly comment on and chat to.
3. Do you think there is a wrong way to promote yourself and your blog?
There is no "wrong way," per se... I mean the more people hear about you, the more well known you will become. But I don't particularly like the one word comments and the "come enter my giveaway!" only comments. (By all means, advertize your blog/giveaway! But make me feel like my comments section is more than just a bulletin board in a university hallway!) I'm not really about that, and neither is my blog. I'd like to think I have some form of connection with most of you :)
4. When is comes to others pushing their product what annoys you?
When I see someone that has made the same comment on 10 different blogs... in the same day. We all like to feel special, so please take the time to read what I have to say, or the 5 seconds to come up with a comment that isn't solely, "nice skirt!" But then again, any kind of comments make me feel warm and fuzzy!
5. In Dressful's post on this topic earlier in the week she said, "It's impossible to respect someone who wants all the attention, but adds nothing worthwhile to the conversation." Do you agree?
Oh yes. Unless of course she means she doesn't like bloggers who only post a look and a few sentences. I think those are more than okay if that's your blogging style! It's my perogative of whether I want to follow you or not.
What I DON'T like (and won't follow) are the few bloggers I've seen who wear the same pieces over and over again because they're "brand name" and then do nothing but go on and on about this or that event they went to. No review, no original thought... just a regurgitation of text, and style. that bothers me.
I visit you because you're ORIGINAL and CREATIVE and i LOVE what you've had to say. And I admit, I visit a blog a few times before I "follow" it. I like blogs that I have been drawn to more than once and have entertained me on a variety of occasions.
Photo via AdWeek