Monday, December 13, 2010

Sweet Somethings: Italian Orange Juice Cookies


I've been doing quite a bit of baking this holiday season, so I thought I would share some of my favorite recipes with you all!
My mother and I just baked a batch of these last night and they are SO good. The recipe is one her and my grandmother have used forever, but if it's yours, or you've read it somewhere online, just let me know and I'll be sure to give credit where it's due!

Italian Orange Juice Cookies

1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
6 Eggs
2 Tsp Vanilla
5 Cups Flour
2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Cup Orange Juice
Icing Sugar to Roll Cookies In.
  1. Preheat your oven to 350*F and grease up a couple of cookie sheets.
  2. Combine shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla in one bowl and mix it real good.
  3. Combine your flour and baking powder in another bowl and give it a good stir.
  4. Alternate adding the dry mixture and the orange juice to your original bowl until it's all gone and well combined. Don't worry, the mixture is supposed to be sticky!
  5. Put icing sugar in a shallow dish and use a tablespoon to scoop out your sticky mixture and plop it in.
  6. Roll it around in the icing sugar until its fully coated and forms a kinda-sorta ball, then it's ready for your baking sheet!
  7. Bake 12-15 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned. This recipe makes about 48 cookies.
These cookies are VERY moist and cake-like and freeze really well too. We also made a couple with teaspoons, adorable little bite size cookies. Delicious!

7 comments:

  1. These sounds really good...I wonder if you could use a different flavour of juice for a different taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *drools* I'm book marking this. I know what I'm making for Christmas. Maybe this will get me out of making Cream Cheese Cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious. I'm going to bookmark this and make them next week when I'm off for Christmas. Do you use orange juice with or without pulp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natasha: never tried, but I'm sure you could! Cranberry sounds like it would be delicious!

    @Viktoria: I've always used pulp-free, but I'm sure you could use the one with pulp, it would just add a different texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been blessed by the baking Gods, I swear I so suck at baking anything, even ready to make cookies from a box!
    besos,

    Come say Bonjour at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love Baking ! I just made Fudge, pumpkin bread and sugar cookies the other night. I will definitely try this recipe. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm cookies! Your family makes the best foods.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel free to leave comments in English, Spanish, French or Italian :)