Monday, October 3, 2011

Ottawa Fasion Week S/S12: Day 1, Part 1

As usual, this year's shows completely blew me away. Who knew there was so much talent so close to home?
This season offered a new venue in Ottawa's own completely renovated and remodeled Congress Centre, which proved to be the perfect upscale setting for the vendors and drink services offered. The outside walls which are completely glass gave view to the Rideau Canal which looks gorgeous lit up at night.
The night was split into three different segments of shows with intermissions inbetween (which were supposed to be an hour long) for refreshments and browsing the vendors.

The first set featured designers Birds of North America, Amber Watkins, and Valerie Dumaine. I won't get into details of how frustrated I was with my camera during this set.

Birds of North America was adorable, as usual. Designer Hayley Gibson stayed true to form showcasing little sundresses, shorts and culottes, but added an unexpected twist by bandaging up her girls like broken dolls. It reminded me in a way of Sally from the Nightmare BEfore Christmas, and since this is one of my favorite movies of all time, I mean that in a complately positive way.
While her designs aren't necessarily my esthetic, I really enjoyed the way the dresses were cut and the way the striped patterns intersected at the seams. She'd be very fitting for many fellow bloggers who relish in the vintage-schoolgirl inspired look.

Next up was a swimwear collection from up and coming designer Amber Watkins. After winning a local design competition in 2009, she was invited to show at NYFW in 2010, and has been going full speed ever since. I absolutely LOVE the way these suits feel both vintage in the way that they're cut, but fresh and modern due to the vibrant colors and feather & gold accessories (which, if I'm not mistaken, were designed by Ottawa's own Melissa Pica and can be found at Norml Clothing in the market!).
AmberWatkins

The last show in the first set was by Montreal based designer Valerie Dumaine. Personally I would wear every piece in her collection and I am completely kicking myself for not being more prepared with memory cards! (Don't worry, I ran out during the first intermission and snagged one!) Her designs are perfectly ladylike with skirts, draped blouses, and adorable shift dresses. While I love her separates, its the easy wearability of her dresses that had me in love.

To read more about the shows and to see additional photos, feel free to visit fellow show-goers Lot 65, or Pop Champagne :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel free to leave comments in English, Spanish, French or Italian :)